Friday, May 27, 2022

The Unplanned Life of Josie Hale by Stephanie Eding


 

The Unplanned Life of Josie Hale


⭐/ 1 Star 

I was severely disappointed with this book. I read the blurb and I was so excited by this type of story, Josie Hale is an absolute train-wreck in the literal sense of the word.

After discovering her husband in the arms of another, Josie decides to move back home with her parents. Only she has just discovered that she is pregnant. In her shock, she has wandered into her county's fair for comfort foods. It is there that she is reunited with her high school best friend and her high school crush. As they catch up they begin to realize how much of a mess all their lives truly are. They decide to band together and change their lives with a pact.

Now, here is where my problem lies.

Josie was a completely unlikeable character in my opinion. In all honesty, I didn't find any of the characters special. I found that Ben, Kevin, and Josie were barely real adults. I know that is the point of this here story but it felt like their immaturity was both unbelievable and embarrassing. This read like a coming-of-age story instead of a found-family/second-chance romance. The story lacked depth. There is potential here for this storyline but the execution was poor.

My biggest complaint would have to be the romance factor. I consume everything in the romance genre. That was the big hook for me. This is NOT a romance. There is seemingly zero connection between Ben and Josie. I appreciate playing coy and shy advances. I really do. But this wasn't it. This book didn't deliver on a second chance romance. There was no inside development of their relationship. It kind of just happened... at the very end with just one kiss.

I felt misled while reading this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment